Sunday, January 2, 2011

una passeggiata nell'inverno

First of all, BUON CAPODANNO (Happy New Year's)!

Second of all, I am still in Maine and counting the days until I fly away (8, if you were wondering).  I've definitely been keeping myself busy while I wait though.  A few days ago I decided to finally give in and buy myself a nice digital SLR.  I've been thinking about it for over a year but the price tags have always deterred me.  So when I walked into PhotoMart down the street the other day on a completely unrelated errand and saw that they were having a sale I decided to look.  Of course, once I had the camera in my hands there was no resisting.  The past day or so have been spent figuring out how to use it.  My last non-point-and-shoot cameras were a 35mm Olympus OM-1 from the '70s and a Graflex 4x5 from the '30s or '40s, and, believe it not, a few things have changed since then.  Like now you don't need film?  Whoa.

Anyway, I spent a few hours today taking an urban hike (and lots of photos) around downtown Portland.  Most of the photos are from down by the water on the Eastern Prom.

Corner of the old Grand Trunk Railroad building.

Love me some pilings!

You might be able to catch a glimpse of Fort Georges
(pronounced "gorgeous") in the background.

I totally have that hat.

Down by the water between the Old Port and the Eastern Prom.

I love the colors in this one.

Why yes, she said, these apples ARE delicious!

Toilet on wheels in the Old Port?
That would be a yes.

This is the part where you are all sad that you haven't yet taken the time to come visit me in Portland because you are wishing to see its particular brand of quaint meets edgy for yourself.  It's even prettier in the summer.  Just sayin'.

I would now like to end with a simple recipe for you all to enjoy wherever it is that you are.  Just take some dried figs (or dates), slit them lengthwise and remove the pits, stuff in some gorgonzola dolce (sweet) and put them in an oven preheated to 350 for a few minutes until the cheese starts to get melty.  At this point you can eat them as they are or first wrap them in thinly sliced prosciutto.  It's a great small appetizer but could easily work as a dessert as well.  Impress your friends at dinner parties!

Ciao for now,

No comments:

Post a Comment